Thursday, January 27, 2011

Griffin says he won't quit on himself this time

Forrest Griffin has been away from the Octagon for 14 months. It's given him a lot of time to think. What did he come up with? He sounded pretty critical of his mental game during this interview with MMADieHards.

Griffin talked about a fighter's mindset entering a fight. 

"There's two things you need to know. One, that you won't quit on yourself and two, that I've done the work. I'm doing the work. I know that I won't quit on myself," said Griffin.

Griffin believes that he's bailed out mentally during some of his losses. 

"I've quit on myself before in fights. I'm not going to quit. I know how hard it is to live with it when you quit," Griffin said. "I won't quit. I've done the work. I'm not gonna break."  

The biggest thing for Griffin is avoid getting overwhelmed by the moment just before and during the fight. 

"It's just a fight. It's small. Of all the problems in the world, you getting in a fight is small," said Griffin.

Sounds like Griffin has seeked out some help over the years. Will it work against Rich Franklin? Griffin is the much bigger fighter at light heavyweight, but Franklin is a tough who'll push the former UFC light heavyweight champ the entire way.

Griffin's mental questions might be the reason Franklin actually opened as a sizeable favorite at minus-180. 

Tip via MMAMania

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Griffin-says-he-won-t-quit-on-himself-this-time?urn=mma-313408

Amanda Marcum Amanda Peet Amanda Righetti Amanda Swisten Amber Arbucci Amber Brkich Amber Heard

No comments:

Post a Comment