Friday, June 24, 2011

Masvidal brutalizes Noons in pulling the upset at Strikeforce

KJ Noons is a pretty well-regarded striker, but he met his match on the feet in Jorge Masvidal. He played Noons' game and virtually destroyed him over the course of the first two rounds. By the end of the fight, Noons' was bleeding everywhere and had a huge hematoma on his forehead. Masvidal rolled to a unanimous decision victory, 30-27 on all cards, in a 155-pound bout at Strikeforce in Dallas.

"KJ was more aggressive. He made more openings happen. He's a good striker, but I'm a bad style for him," Masvidal said. "I'm a good counter fighter. I felt comfortable striking with him."

Noons (10-3) has picked apart just about everyone down at 155, but Masvidal's jab was something he couldn't defend himself against. Masvidal (22-5) also did some great work with his knees.

A first round round knee split open Noons' forehead. The hematoma on the right side of his head nearly had his right eye closed at the finish of the fight. Masvidal outlanded Noons 102-57. He was good on 53 percent of his strikes. Masvidal also delivered on six-of-nine takedown attempts.

Masvidal made a real statement to Strikeforce. The 26-year-old may deserve a shot at Strikeforce 155-pound champ Gilbert Melendez.

"You're not going to see me getting on my knees or something, but if [Strikeforce CEO] Scott Coker wants to give me the shot, I'd be more than happy," said Masvidal.

Masvidal then wished the fathers in attendance a happy Father's Day and said he'd love to get a present.

"I gave myself the best gift," said Masvidal, who has two kids. "Hopefully Scott Coker can one up me and give me the title shot."

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Masvidal-brutalizes-Noons-in-pulling-the-upset-a?urn=mma-wp3680

Alicia Witt Amanda Bynes Amanda Detmer Amanda Marcum Amanda Peet Amanda Righetti Amanda Swisten

No comments:

Post a Comment